On July 18, 1854, a small group of Norwegians settled in the hilly area surrounding Chub Lake, a landscape much like that of their native land. These first five settlers were Peter Sampson and his son Magnus from Vox, Ole Thoreson and Ole Olson from Hallingdal, and Johannes Jacobson from Vinje, all rural districts of Norway. Their numbers increased when a caravan of settlers came from Muskego, Wisconsin. In July of 1856, more Norwegians settled in this community and their numbers continued to grow.
On one or the highest points of land in Dakota County, surrounded by woods and green fields, stands Highview Christiania Lutheran Church. It is one of the oldest church buildings in continuous use in the state of Minnesota. Our Church building, was dedicated on November 11, 1878.
Highview Christiania Lutheran Church was placed on the National Historic Registry List by the Department of Interior in July of 2010.
Highveiw offers two services (8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.) on Sunday's during September-May and one service (9 a.m.) during the summer months. There is communion on first and third Sunday's of the month and Country Gospel services during the summer months.
Highview has approximately 600 baptized members and an average worship attendance of approximately 100. The majority of Highview's members live within a 10 mile radius of the church.
The Pastor of Highview Christiania Lutheran Church is
, who began leadership of the congregation in 2014.
Highview offers a wide range of activities for youth-seniors. Click on the Ministries tab for more information about the many activities taking place at Highview.
We are located at 26690 Highview Avenue, Farmington, MN 55024. See map below for additional details and directions.
Highview Christiania Lutheran
"Fed by the Word, Feeding the World"
26690 Highview Avenue
Farmington, MN 55024
By Kate Penz, communications specialist
St Paul Area Synod.
From FaithLink, September 2010